5 Things You Must Never Do With Your Attention Deficit or Autistic Child
October 07, 2016
- Keep your child indoors. Children with neurological conditions need to be stimulated in the most natural, innate ways possible. New parks, friends to play with, flowers, sunshine, weather, are all things that can stimulate the child’s brain and enhance cognition, mood, and a sense of WELL being.
- Keep your child away from ‘non’ neurological children. This would create a sense of wrong or right in your child that can cause confusion. Allow your children into play groups of other autistic/neurological children and on other days have play with all children. Create sense of community for your children and the other parents if you are able.
- AVOID sugar- by choosing artificial instead.. What I mean here is do NOT feed your child artificial sweeteners, flavors, or anything that is not natural. They are already sensitive and polluting their body with artificial stimulants causes more stress on their delicate system. **(think MSG, Splenda, sweet n lo, sucralose, phenylketonuronics, ALL artificial additives ARE a threat. Choose fruits as treats and if you must sweeten something reach for Stevia, monk fruit, natural products.)*
- Hush or Stop your child from expressing noise, song, verbiage, art or play. Your child like any other NEEDS to express himself. Hushing this can lead to a child who feels muffled, not listened to or not responsive in the future which can lead to lashing out, bad behavior, or even substance abuse in order to self soothe. Play areas, special spectrum toys and “cry rooms’ are becoming more normal even at places like Disney and I very much respect and appreciate this!
- Avoid natural remedies and means of healthcare. Some of the BEST things for a neuro/ autistic child are chiropractic, acupuncture, massage. The child essentially has a nerve system that is ‘tangled.’ Chiropractic specifically will address any blockages in the child’s spine which cause interference in their brain-body communication. It helps the child focus better, feel better, and boosts the immune system and brain function. Massage is a great means to relaxation or reward for a great week, as opposed to sugary or unhealthy foods, and acupuncture is a form of healthcare that can lead to relaxation, balancing of hormones, and better sleep.
Please share this blog if you found it helpful!
Dr. Liz Morin
Pediatric and Prenatal Structural Chiropractor, Key West, Florida